Wednesday, March 28, 2012

We've traveled around the world this year!

This year in our home school and our co-op, we have been "traveling" around the world. What a blessing this has been! I know I have blogged about it several times, but it really has been cool. Well, we finished putting our flags on Africa today. Look how cool our world map from this year looks:
We really have learned about (almost) all of these countries. Well, in Africa, we studied regions. (For example: we studied Egypt, S. Africa, missionaries to Africa, animals in Africa, Madagascar, and waterways in Africa. We didn't actually study too many individual countries. I actually did a class on missionaries to Africa several weeks ago and even featured our dear friends Dan and Courtney Schmidt who are moving to Africa this summer. I dressed up like the great missionary David Livingstone and we talked about missionaries to Africa in the past, and then taught about missionaries today. I learned a lot from this class too!)

We use Sonlight curriculum in our home school and I have really loved this year.  We have been doing Sonlight for at least 3 years, I would say, and this has probably been my favorite year of Sonlight. We read a TON of books in this curriculum (which is probably why I love it so much.) Right now we are in the Middle East in our "travel around the world." This past week, we read a book that I really enjoyed. It was Seven Daughters and Seven Sons by Barbara Cohen and Bahija Lovejoy. What a great read. We have been reading it outloud for 2 weeks and I ended up finishing it on my own one morning before school. The kids asked to finish it on their own on Monday and since I had already read it, I said they could. You'll have to read it yourself to see the plot. A very enjoyable read, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment