Saturday, January 5, 2013

Christmas Joys

This Christmas was so special. It might have been one of our best Christmases. I love Christmas and the celebration of Christ's birth so much, and many of them are so special, but this one was just extra special.

We went to the candlelight service on Christmas Eve. The pastors did something I have never seen before - they quoted verses from Isaiah and Hebrews back and forth (a snippet from Isaiah, a snippet from Hebrews) focusing on the promised Messiah and then the fulfillment in Christ. It was very cool. Then we put the kids to bed early on Christmas Eve so they could get up early on Christmas morning! Dave and I loaded their stockings and then we watched a movie by the Christmas tree (one of our little traditions.)

Christmas morning everyone was up early and they dove into their stockings. It was so fun watching them tear into it with joyful cries of "Thanks Dad! Thanks Mom!" "We love this!" "Oh Cool!"
I have always loved stockings. My parents made them extra special every year when I was growing up and so I really enjoy trying to make them extra special for our kids! Dave and I had fun picking the little gifts out and needless to say, the minifigure surprise packs were a hit.

Then Dave's parents came for breakfast and stayed to open presents. We spent the day with them -first here at our house, then at their house for the afternoon and evening (including a yummy Christmas dinner!)

My parents came early on Dec. 26th - even in the midst of terrible weather here in PA! My father-in-law graciously went to pick them up. We were so excited when they called, because whereas I thought they were calling to tell me their flight had been cancelled, they were calling to tell me they had already arrived! We were so thankful and had a wonderful "second Christmas" with them.

Here are a few pictures of the celebrations:
the kids waiting on the stairs before coming down to get their stockings
the tree with all the goodies around it
the kids with Mom-Mom and Pop-Pop
then the kids with Grandma and Grandpa the next day
Here are a few other favorite pictures from the 2 days:
 Anna with her Strawberry Shortcake dolls
 Tim with one of his Lego sets
 Sam with his football
 Josh with his skateboard
Sarah with Pop-Pop

A very special Christmas indeed!!

No comments:

Post a Comment