Thursday, September 6, 2012

Summer Reading

OK, so this is a post from a couple of weeks ago, but hey, better late than never, right? I read the most amazing book this summer (after we looked at many houses, before we moved into this house and before we started school. You know - back when I had more time for pleasure reading.)


Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy was one of the best books I have read in a long time. In fact, it might just be one of the best books I have ever read. It ranks right up there with The Count of Monte Cristo - my all time favorite book. I am not sure if it is because we have learned about some of the events surrounding World War II, or because of studying world geography last year in school, or because it was just an excellent book, but I LOVED it. It almost became a sort of devotional book for me as I read it. Bonhoeffer was a man who loved the Lord and loved the Bible. He meditated on a passage every morning for 30 minutes and spent copious time in prayer. He was faithful to the Lord, in the midst of great affliction, and eventually was faithful even to death. I found him inspiring and challenging at the same time.

I have very little affliction (almost none as far as my faith goes) and yet do I spend that kind of time in the word? Do I pray as I know I should? Do my seemingly insignificant "trials" drive me to my knees as his did? I am ashamed to say that I have a lot of room to grow in this area.

My heart's desire is that my life reflect would Christ and His love the way that Bonhoeffer's did.

1 comment:

  1. wow! If it is up there with your Count book I have to get a hold of it and read it.

    ReplyDelete