Zany family of 7 trying to live for our Lord and also trying finding a moment or two of peace every once in a while.
Friday, March 29, 2013
Still a Part of Missions
Isn't it funny how the Lord leads you to different places at different times in your life? I have always had a heart for missions. Very soon after I first became a Christian, I wanted to be a missionary. When Dave and I were first married, we actually interviewed with a missions organization out in Seattle, but we weren't ready to go and the Lord knew that. We waited and the Lord led us to Answers in Genesis, where He grew us so much through godly mentors and dear friends. After serving there for 8 1/2 years, the Lord began to stir in Dave's heart to look into missions again. We began researching the different mission organizations and New Tribes Mission stood out for their purpose and their desire to reach the unreached with the gospel. We also really liked that they had an Associate Program where they take professionals in their field and plug them in an area to help with the furtherance of the gospel being proclaimed. Dave's gifts are in programming and they probably always will be, so he was able to come in as a professional programmer and use his gifts serving the Lord. We applied, got accepted and ended up moving to Florida for almost 4 years to work in the home office serving missionaries all over the world.
Then our time with New Tribes ended.
Does that mean that our time of being a part of missions has ended? No way.
We came home and soon after we arrived here in Pennsylvania and got reconnected with one of our sending churches, I was asked to be a part of the International Missions Committee of our church. In fact, I was asked to chair it. Dave and I prayed about it for 3 weeks before we decided to go ahead and do it. I am so thankful that the Lord has allowed us to still be a part of missions, even though we are not "on the field" right now. You see - there are some who are called to go, some who are called to send and some who are called to pray, but all of us who are Christians are called to be a part of The Great Commission. Right now we are serving here, yet we are supporting missionaries, praying for missionaries and open to going again, if the Lord would open that door again. Our role in the Great Commission has changed, but not our passion.
What role has the Lord called you to in missions? I don't know the answer to that, but I do know that He has called all of us to be a part of that. Start by praying for the missionaries you know. Write them letters and ask how you can be praying. Seek to share the gospel with your neighbors right here at home. Look for opportunities to serve the missionaries your church supports. Support a missionary yourself. (I could recommend many!) Finally, pray about going. Open your heart to what the Lord is doing around the world and seek to be a part of it.
"The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. Pray to the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into His field." Luke 10:2
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Diane what an amazing encouragement you are! A missionary in the core of who you are! You have so been a guide for Holly to follow as she plans her first mission trip!
ReplyDelete