Thursday, January 19, 2012

I can't believe it's already the 100th day (again)

Well, another school year is rolling along. It is kind of hard to believe we just celebrated our 100th day of this school year this week. It has gone fast. This year has been a good year in many ways and a challenging year in other respects. We have studied a lot of cool things and learned A TON about geography (yes, me as the teacher is included in this last statement) but we have also had to deal with attitudes or complaining or both. So, I guess the Lord is stretching and teaching us all throughout this year. Not a bad thing, at all. :)

Anyway, I am digressing. Our 100th day of school. Our 100th day of Joshua's fifth grade year, Sarah's fourth grade year, Timothy's first grade year and Sammy's preschool year. The 100th day of trying to keep my sweet (and sometimes mischievous) Anna occupied. That is why I am writing this blog today. Every year on our 100th day of school, we have a party. I try to do different things with our 100th day of school party each year. This year, instead of having the kids count 100 fruit loops on a necklace, I decided to make a big rice krispie treat in the shape of 100. (Way easier and actually much less sugar too.) :) Each of the children also brought a collection of 100 of something. Joshua brought 100 hot wheels cars, Sarah had to get the wagon to bring in her 100 books, and Timothy decided to bring in 100 pieces of Chex Mix (which we shared as part of our snack). Samuel informed me that 100 was WAY too much for him, so he made a Lego creation out of 10 Legos. :)

We also read Henry's 100th Day of Kindergarten with Tim, Sam and Anna and then read Ready, Set 100 Days by Nancy Wallace with everyone. (OK, so my older ones are a little old for this one, but that is OK.) After our 100th day snack, we did 10 each of 10 different exercises to equal 100 (push ups, sit-ups, running up and down 10 stairs, jumping jacks, etc.) Then we made several different ways to make 100 cents and then I gave everyone  100 cents to spend at the store for something "extra." It was a fun day.
We also gave the children a total of 100 Legos and they each  had to build a creation with their 25. This is what they came up with.

 Below is Sarah holding the rice krispie treat creation and Josh making the sign for 100 days
 Sam with his 10 lego creation - OK, I couldn't resist this picture
 The children with their collections of 100 things

No comments:

Post a Comment