Saturday, May 21, 2011

Reflections on the past school year

Well, in reflection upon the past school year, many different thoughts come to mind. Sometimes I wonder if my children could possibly learn anything amidst the chaotic days we SOMETIMES have here while home schooling. (Not always, mind you. Sometimes the days roll incredibly smoothly. Other times, well...
 let me give you a few examples... )

  • I think of the other day when I was trying to get ready for our end of year co-op party and packing for our trip to SC and Anna decided to paint her grocery cart (and herself) brown. 
  • Then I think of another year during school when Samuel and Timothy "made the stroller white" by pouring an entire bottle of baby powder on it. (I remember one of them saying, "Look Mom! We made the stroller white!") 
But then, I look over the past year at accomplishments. Tim learned to read this year. Josh and Sarah learned about American History from the Civil War to the present.We read many, many excellent books - The Great Wheel by Robert Lawson, In Search of the Source by Neil Anderson, William Wilberforce by John Holzman, and a biography of Helen Keller, to name only a few. In our co-op, we got to meet a Civil War reenactor, learned about the Statue of Liberty, the fire department came to visit, and we traveled through the decades from 1900 through the present. In our science class, Josh, Sarah and Tim learned how to do simple circuits and made their own games. It was a good year. I have seen them grow and so have I! It is amazing to watch.

My biggest prayer continually while we homeschool is that the Lord would give them each what they need to learn to prepare them for life as they grow up. May He grow them into the people He wants them to be and Dave and I into the parents He wants us to be. 

So, as I reflect on this past year, I am thankful. We have all learned a lot and God has been incredibly gracious to us. Even on those days when the grocery cart gets painted and the stroller becomes white, I have to remember that this is life and life is good.


No comments:

Post a Comment