Thursday, October 24, 2013

Flat Stanley

OK, if you have never read the book Flat Stanley, I highly recommend it. It is a funny story about a little boy who gets flattened by his bulletin board by his bed. Then the story goes on to tell little adventures that Stanley has while being flat. One of the neat things that happens is that he gets mailed to his friend in California. At the end of the book, it encourages readers to print out their own Flat Stanleys and mail them to different parts of the country and map all the places he goes.

We did the Flat Stanley project with Joshua and Sarah many years ago (probably when Josh was in 2nd grade and Sarah was in 1st.) Well, I decided it was high time we did it again, so we are doing it with Sam this year. I had such fun with this. We went to St. Louis this summer on vacation, so I snuck Flat Stanley into my purse. Then I had a few pictures of Flat Stanley taken while we were in St. Louis, such as this one:

Then the week before school started, I sent Sam a letter from Flat Stanley along with the book Flat Stanley and explained how we were going to be sending Flat Stanley on other adventures. It has been so fun! So far, Flat Stanley has been to Missouri, Pennsylvania, New York, South Carolina, Florida, and Hawaii. We just sent him out a second time to Kentucky and Maryland. It will be lots of fun to see how many states we can have him visit. 

[Does anyone know people out west (California, Washington, Oregon, Iowa, Idaho, Montana, etc.) that would be willing to help us? If so, let me know!]

Here are a few pictures from Stanley's adventures and Sam with the map we are doing this year:


Sam is also making a folder with any letters, postcards and pictures the people send back with Flat Stanley! 
What a fun little project.


1 comment:

  1. I LOVE IT!!
    Poor Stanley has been with us here in Florida for quite awhile. He ran into an alligator and is recovering....

    ReplyDelete