Friday, February 15, 2013

Miss Manners

No, I am not applying for the job of Miss Manners. Far from it.

Actually, I am just using this blog to do a small commercial for an etiquette curriculum we bought for school this year. It is called The Etiquette Factory and we bought it earlier this year because we realized that this was something that we needed to work on in our family. We have really enjoyed this program. It has been so good to teach some of the things that we wanted to teach, but weren't quite sure how to go about it. We have covered everything from "how to do a sincere apology" to "internet safety for older children." It has opened up a lot of discussion of ways to be kind and what some of the rules are for proper etiquette.

Now, I will say that I am a little fearful to even post this blog. We don't always do these things perfectly (or even close sometimes). There are many, many conversations such as these occurring during our days:

"Please don't interrupt while adults are speaking."
"Speak with kindness to your sister."
"That didn't sound like a sincere apology."

But as a good friend in Florida used to say, we are in training.

The curriculum doesn't mention Bible verses, but it talks about the heart of etiquette is making others feel comfortable and showing kindness. We use that as a trampoline to go to what the Bible says about "treating others as you would have them treat you." We are not there yet, but I pray, that by God's grace our children will learn to value what the Bible says about thinking of others more highly than yourselves. Maybe this curriculum will just be one small stepping stone that He uses to get us there.

.
The kids by the "rainbow of kindness". 
One of the crafts that we did that reminded us what words to say and what words to throw away.
The younger children have a manners DVD to watch with stories and music.
There are 3 levels to the Etiquette Factory. 
(I am only showing 2 here - there is a 3rd that is for teenagers.)
That is part of the reason that I have been so impressed with this curriculum - 
it has something for all 5 of our children.



No comments:

Post a Comment