Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Complaining

"Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may be blameless and pure, children of God, without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine as stars in the universe." Phil. 2:14-15

I think there is reason that God put this verse in the Bible, by the inspiration of the Holy Spirit through the pen of Paul. It is so easy to read; so hard to follow. Just to dispel any myths about homeschooling, (perfect house, perfect children, perfect mom, perfect dad) in our house we deal with complaining. "I don't want to do math." "Do we have to read that chapter?" "Are we done yet?" "Another writing assignment?" I know, I know... I have read the articles too about how homeschooling creates this environment of kindness and generosity, totally obedient children, and never a complaint uttered. I have found that homeschooling actually creates the opportunity to expose those sins that we deal with day in and day out in sometimes a very uncomfortable way. It causes me to examine my own heart as I am dealing with complaining. Disciplining in LOVE (not harshness). Returning the complaint with a "gentle answer". Making sure Mommy is not complaining. How I wish I was there - that perfect Mother that I sometimes dream about, but in reality I am still same old me.

Yet, even as I am "same old me", I do believe that  "Therefore if anyone is in Christ, He is a new creation.The old has passed away, behold, new things have come." 2 Corinthians 5:17. The other verse I take much comfort from is "He who began a good work in you will be faithful to complete it." Philippians 1:6

You see, while we are in this homeschooling journey, God is working in me and my children. (Just as He does in all of us who are seeking Him, no matter how we school our children.) He is exposing my sins and He is training me, during the time that I am trying to train them. Lord, please give us grace and help us to become more like you. Help us to view our lives through the lens of faith and trust that You are working in all of our hearts during these "growing up" years.

2 comments:

  1. What?!? You mean homeschooling doesn't equal automatic sanctification?!? :o) Thanks for the real-life perspective--it's encouraging to see the Lord work in you and through you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't feel too guilty about the "mom complaining" part. The Lord works through that, too. I am guilty of complaining, but I think my complaints wake my kids up to realize that they are not the only people whose feelings matter. Mommy is a person, too.

    ReplyDelete